Sayonara Otaku Days?

Feb

Mood: Oh so happy!

Hey, cupcakes~!

Guess what!? <´∀`>

About the phone case that I’ve been worrying for days?

It finally arrived in my post box~!  \<´∀`>/ ↓

Phew!

Good thing it got here!

And lookie! There are even little hearts sprinkled all over~!

Since sheep is given so much love, let’s not waste it, right? (Laughs) Sheep shall stick them in her diary or somewhere. <^-^>/

Now…with its incorporation.. my BlackBerry looks and feels — complete! (Laughs)

You know, I never thought I’d get a new phone so soon. I was really attached to my Samsung Star and it has been my companion for a year plus. Really… I couldn’t imagine myself getting a new phone afterwards, most especially a BlackBerry in which I just never fancied.

Then…Somehow — it got to me. <@_@>

I wonder, what is the next phone I’ll get? I really hope it won’t be so soon because changing phones as a hobby is really costly! <`A´>/

Speaking of hobbies, the other day I was counting how many things do I have interest in — plus those that I once upon a time cultivated.

Reading, writing, blogging, drawing… These are hobbies I’ve been doing over the years to date.

However, there is this one hobby that used to be the central of my life.

That hobby, namely — ANIME.

Throughout my school days, I was totally into anime and everything I ever talked about was anime, anime and ANIME. To the point I had absolutely no idea who-is-who in the Westlife band — heck, who sung the Ketchup song[?] <OAO>

The minute I arrived school, the first thing I’d do is look for my fellow anime buddies and we’d go, “Hey! Did you watch yesterday’s episode!? Yaaaaaa~~~ He’s so kawaii! Yaaa~~~~” You know, typical fan girl conversation. (Laughs)

We would talk about the characters, the theme songs and then we would also draw and write fictions. It became a huge hobby and truthfully, I believed anime made me a much perkier and colorful person.

So…

How did I stumble onto anime culture?

Well..

The very first time I was exposed to anime culture was during my kindergarten days. A Japanese girl introduced me to Sailormoon. We couldn’t talk because of the language barrier so she just showed me what she brought to school that day, which was a picture book of Sailormoon.

The first thing that mesmerized me was the drawings of the sailor scouts. They were different from those Western cartoon; more attractive and more captivating. Whereas Western characters I knew then were very simplified and.. it was just not appealing to me. Disney princesses and Barbie was so blah to me.

So yes, Sailormoon was the very first anime for me. I wasn’t too privileged to watch the anime but I got hold of all the manga. At that age, I couldn’t understand the story (didn’t figure that Uranus and Neptune were lesbos) but it didn’t matter as I was more fascinated by the art work.

Then as I got older, I came to know about Rurouni Kenshin (American title: Samurai X). ↓

My very first time having a crush on a character. (Laughs nervously) Followed by DragonBall.

Then during highschool days, AXN started to show more anime shows such as SlamDunk, Saiyuki, You’re Under Arrest, Vandread, Fushigi Yuugi and many more.

SlamDunk ↑

Saiyuki ↑

That was the time anime prioritized my homework (Laughs); wrote fictions, drew pictures, learned a bit of Japanese and listened to their music. At that moment, I thought that when I grow up, I’ll definitely get involved more in the anime field. A manga artist or translator perhaps.

However as it turns out now…

Look at where I am?

Pretty much nowhere near to anime.

In fact… the interest is fading away as we speak.

Why the sudden change of love?

It is not that anime and manga is unobtainable. With the Internet, we can easily download or read online. And there are new anime and mangas booming out here and there. Adobe Photoshop is a big leap for graphic designers too.

Well to put it simply — I feel that anime isn’t a practical hobby for me or something I should be spending too much time on. If I were serious on pursuing as a manga artist or something in relation to anime, then being a full time otaku is to my benefit. But sadly, I can barely draw and design.

Another reason would be — I get depressed when watching or reading manga. Some of you may understand this feeling.

It’s like — You watch an anime about highschool life and how beautiful it is to have awesome friends whom you can count on in times of trouble. Then when you’re done after days of marathon, you put the box set aside and wake up to reality which is so different from the anime world.

In other words, anime is like dreaming. Pretty on the screen and pages, but in real life you can’t fast forward hardship and misery.

I won’t say anime/manga is the only thing that causes this reality/fantasy delusion but as well as any movies or love stories. They all give you dreams and fantasies to hold on to. Some of them that are possible, others, not. It depends which do you hold onto.

Baa!

Anyway, I think I grew out of this.

It happens. We just grow out from things that we once loved so much. Whether there is a practical reason to it or not — it just happens.

Having that said — Your turn~! (Laughs)

Is there a hobby that you used to do with so much love but now, hardly ever spend time on?

And are you an anime fan or were?

What was your first anime?

Go on, let’s hear about your love for anime or something that you once practiced religiously. <^ω^>/~

This entry was posted on Tuesday, February 22nd, 2011 at 9:39 pm and is filed under Ms Aya's Papers. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

1.  littleyue
February 22nd, 2011 at 9:54 pm

My first anime was Sailor moon too how coincidence! I used to collect those 10cents per piece erasers that has Sailor Moon printed on them.. I never able to finish the series because my mom was strict about tv shows back then.. And then I got my mom’s friend exposed me to Studio Ghibli’s work follow with Fruit Basket from TV3~

I am still watching anime that my friend gave me because I never learn how to download~ =w=;;; Sometimes I watch it online but that is rare because internet is so slow T_T

February 22nd, 2011 at 11:43 pm

Dear Little Yue

Hahaha~ I think most girls who spent their younger days in the end of the 90′s would know of Sailormoon. XD

And yea, I remember those square rubbers. XD There were those 40 cents cards that you can get at the machines too. Insert 2 coins and twist the knob!

Mmm…Sheep doesn’t know how to download too. Prefer to buy the box set and watch on TV than on comp.

Oh well, leech on your friend~! (Laughs)

3.  TheRocketLife
February 23rd, 2011 at 3:52 am

You’re giving up on anime? no way!. Well I guess everyone has their own reasons to do what they do. Me, I think I’ll be an anime fan for life ha ha ha.

First anime show I ever saw was Black Jack, but it was actually Dragon Ball the show that got me sucked into the anime world.

It’s been more than 15 years since I moved from being a casual to being what people would call “otaku”, though I’ve never liked the term since it is originally a pejorative way to call someone in Japan.

Anyway, if you feel you gotta get over it in order to leap forward then do so and good luck! :)

4.  Monkeyd
February 23rd, 2011 at 8:04 am

I have too many hobbies to list. But, it does include watching anime and reading manga.

The first anime I ever saw was Rurouni Kenshin. Great animation and a good story line. The nest ones were Slam Dunk, Yu Yu Hakashu, Inuyasha, DB (1, z and gt) in that order. I know because I dumped a lot of money to get the complete sets one by one. :( . I have watched enough for a life time and do not find anything interesting to watch anymore.

Frankly, I now stopped watching animes mainly because of the ridiculous drop in their quality. Bleach, Naruto, OP, and most of the new ones are the best examples. The art has become less that mediocre and the animations is like those done by students rather than professionals. I really miss the great animations of the old school animes and those like Ergo Proxy, Ghost in Shell, Death Note. For now, I think I will only stick with Mangas and Manhwas and wait from them to release one chapter a week.

About feeling depressed when you read certain mangas, I do understand. I do feel depressed when I read Adachi Mitsuru sensei’s works. They are mostly about school life and are one of the best mangas I have read. You will understand when you read them.

I wouldn’t be surprised if anyone said TLDR. :D I know I would if I saw this comment

February 23rd, 2011 at 7:21 pm

Dear Dan

I won’t say it’s a total surrender and goodbye but — it’s just my interest in anime is not as active as before that I don’t bother to sought after new anime/manga. If I have time and in the mood for anime/manga, I find myself re-reading/watching my old time favorites such as DBZ, SlamDunk and Inuyasha. XD

Hahaha, it’s good that Dan can carry on with his interest for a long period of time. XD And..you don’t like the term otaku? Weird..for someone who refers his female figurines as ‘her/she’ rather than ‘it’. :p (Laughs)

—————————————-

Dear Monkeyd

Yesh! A Rurouni Kenshin fan! Kyaa! And Inuyasha too!

I agree.. Despite that there are many new animes shooting out, the quality and story lines are pretty shallow. Too much hype and uh..fetish? And most of all, poor character development. Bleach started off pretty well in my opinion but as it goes on stretching, it got so boring and the suspense gets poorer. Plus the main character Ichigo doesn’t display drastic improvement. I think SlamDunk’s Sakuragi is one of the best example that displays ‘change’ and development of a character. From an immature, hot tempered buffoon to a more mature and responsible team mate — very distinct change and a very inspirational journey! The match with Industrial Sannoh is really heart moving! (CRIES)

(Laughs) I can go on raving about this but let’s stop here before it gets too long winded!

In short, I agree with you that the current animes aren’t as captivating and interesting as the old ones. (-__-)

The last anime that got me hooked was Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood!

6.  Monkeyd
February 24th, 2011 at 4:06 am

Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood ?? I know that it is based off the manga storyline, but I could not get myself to forget the original Fullmetal Alchemist anime story. Whenever I tried to watch Brotherhood the old story makes me loose sense in the new one. Never watched beyond the second episode.

What you said about Bleach is quite true. The Rukia arc was pretty darn good, but after the idiotic fillers the quality of the animation just plummeted. The animators just wanted to drag on and on trying to stretch the story than what it was in the manga.

Slam Dunk’s Sakuragi was my favorite anime character (typical goofy delinquent) for a long time. The problem with good character development is that you cannot stretch the story, but you do get a very good storyline with that. I recently started reading “Kyou Kara Ore Wa!” manga and found a similar character, but more funny. I prefer funny. Helps me keep a lighter outlook at things and not be too serious. If you like humor (gag manga) type, I would strongly recommend this manga. Takes a few chapters to get used to it, but once the protagonist runs into a girl the story gets better and funnier.

7.  bubuchacha
February 26th, 2011 at 3:52 pm

Speaking of hobby, Ive got lots and lots of them… a long time ago. When I was younger, I do cross stitching, amateur, childish watercolor painting, and reading Princess Diaries novel series.

I failed to continue those though because of some circumstances. I dont have much time anymore to do cross stitch and it hurts my neck and back so badly. Whereas on painting, i dont have those advanced adult skills/techniques to amuse and push myself to paint. And lastly, I find Princess Diaries too high-schoolish now that I’m already in college with a whole new different experiences.

Im also an anime fan, but not to the extreme. I watch a few anime series, but I dont collect action figures and stuffs. My first anime was also Sailor Moon. I could still remember every Saturday evening, Im hooked on T.V. watching this series and my favorite character is Sailor Mars and Jupiter.

8.  Owl
March 1st, 2011 at 8:19 am

I don’t remember exactly what was my first anime. It could have been Yu-Gi-Oh or Dragonball Z or Sailor Moon. I actually wasn’t sure what they were called at the time. To me they were normal cartoons. But then I started to develop an (obsessive) interest in anime when I came across this video game, Tales of Symphonia. I first came across with it when I was about 10 and my brother and his friend were playing it.

I was really interested in the storyline but unfortunately, they lost interest in it when they beat it. Also it was even more upsetting when I was around the entire time they were playing it so I never got to see the ending. But years later when I was about 12, I came across a very familiar looking manga. After digging into it a bit more, I realized it was the manga version of the game my brother used to play!

Immediately, I went to my brother’s room and dug through his old video game drawer because I knew that his friend would sometimes give away some of his old games to him. I finally found it and quickly hooked the Game Cube to the TV and began to play it. The graphics were a bit outdated compared to that time, but I didn’t really care. The storyline was so amazing!

Afterwards, that event just lead to a hobby and some new friends who were also into anime. I guess it’s safe for me to say that Tales of Symphonia was my first anime.

March 5th, 2011 at 10:09 am

Aww Sheep-chan… *gives you severely overdue hug*

But hey, i watched Rurouni Kenshin and Gensoumaden Saiyuki too! They were on the AXN channel, but it doesn’t seem to air anime anymore.

Currently my favourite anime is Fairy Tail… it’s ongoing! It’s shounen, but thankfully not with perverted characters like Bleach or Rave, just minor fleeting references here and there.

And because I love you so much I am going to put the link where you can stream all the episodes. there are currently 68, take your time with them!

And they occur in a different world, so hopefully it doesn’t make you too depressed about reality, unless it’s to wish that you lived in that world!

March 6th, 2011 at 12:21 pm

Dear Monkeyd

I didn’t watch the first anime version at all.. In fact, after I watched Brotherhood half way, only then I got to know about it. XD I guess it’s got to do with which version got to you first and the latter wouldn’t seem interesting.

As for Bleach, there’s too much hype and fan service. Plus, too many ‘irrelevant’ characters popping out! And they don’t die; they keep coming back to make appearances which gets really annoying!

————————

Dear BubuChacha

Cross-stitching! Sheep is doing that now! XD

Hahaha, and it seems you’re more on the home maker and creative side. (^-^) So now that you don’t do all these, what do you do? Reading? Hanging out with friends and fmaily and schoolwork?

Well, some hobbies die out because of our priority. (-__-)lll Darn..

————————————

Dear Owl

Hahaha! It’s good that not only you re-discovered it but you found there is more to it than just the game!

First love is always the strongest and purest!

———————————–

Dear Krayle-chan

Ah~ Krayle-chan is trying to poison sheep to watch Fairy Tail! (x_x) Well I read a bit of the manga but couldn’t understand because sheep did not start right from the beginning. And since it’s the same author as RAVE, sheep is having thoughts of trying it out.

I guess… Krayle-chan already led sheep to no choice and excuses… XD

!! tackles and uber hugs Krayle-chan !!