Mood: Gleeful

Mood: Gleeful

When I first got my Samsung Star, I couldn’t figure a way to activate the Wi-Fi for my Opera Mini.

Although I don’t quite mind the default browser, for some websites I prefer to get a compact and concise view which loads faster.

Anyway, I finally figured out how to connect my Opera Mini using the Wi-Fi!

Took me a bloody long time to figure this out. <x__x>

So those who would like to use their Opera Mini on Wi-Fi with their Samsung Star, here’s how. ↓

Your Opera Mini should be kept under the ‘Games and More’ folder so go there…

…and tap on ‘More’ and then ‘Connections’.

Here, you can choose the network of your choice. If you have never meddled with the settings here, probably by default, Opera Mini uses your service provider as the primary network to gain access to the Internet thus credit deduction.

Note that you don’t have to switch on your Wi-Fi. Just go to ‘Connections‘ and select your choice of network. However, do save the network before anything else.

Samsung Star is unlike Nokia phones (and probably other phones) whereby it will ask you permission whether you want to use connect to the Internet using Wi-Fi.

You have to set it first before opening Opera Mini.

I’m guessing that every application under the ‘Games and More’ folder will use the same chosen network.

Now once you are done choosing your network, open Opera Mini.

Let’s say, I want to go to Twitter…

After tapping on the link, this will appear. ↑

Select “Allow, ask once.”

If you have not set for Wi-Fi connection, then you have agreed to the chargeable cost of air time in order to surf the net.

However, setting it to Wi-Fi connection will not deduct your phone credit. Suppose you are unsure whether you are connected using Wi-Fi, click the ‘End Call’ button to check. You will see the Wi-Fi icon has been activated. ↓

See? Well, I can be very forgetful sometimes and forget to set the right profile so I have the tendency to keep checking. It would suck to find out a sum of credit gone, just like that. Sheep is paranoid, ne? (Laughs)

After that, here you go!

Feel free to surf on Opera Mini~ <^v^>/

By the way, if you normally use Samsung Star’s default browser to check your HOTMAIL, I suggest you go to their Mobile site instead of the full site.

Hotmail’s mobile site: http://mobile.live.com

Checking your e-mail using the full site with your Samsung Star…can spit blood. <x__x>

Well, it’s up to you~♥ <^ω^>

Hope this guide is useful for you Samsung Star users~~♥ <^v^>/

PS: Expect your Samsung Star to restart when you are surfing websites with heavy content. <T_T>lll

Tags: , , , , ,

This entry was posted on Tuesday, April 20th, 2010 at 12:45 pm and is filed under Reviews. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

1.  dino-chan
April 20th, 2010 at 9:44 pm

I wish I am using Samsung Star LOL
My current phone’s screen so small D: I’m spitting lots of blood out whenever I wee-fee

April 22nd, 2010 at 11:37 pm

Dino-chan, have you tried using Opera Mini for your phone?
The interface is quite good in sheep’s opinion, because it minimizes and makes reading easier.

3.  dino-chan
April 22nd, 2010 at 11:55 pm

Eto, I have opera mini in my phone but i never use it.
Maybe I should try it after this kana ^^

April 26th, 2010 at 10:51 pm

I just shockingly found out today that my phone can actually go on the Internet lol. Since I am using this particular price plan, i can get free internet access (only 100MG though) for a month! ^0^/

April 27th, 2010 at 5:22 pm

That’s awesome! (Laughs)
So looks like kioko can go mobile on her tweets! (^-^*)
But I noticed kioko does not tweet so much~~~! (;__; ) (Tears)

April 27th, 2010 at 9:28 pm

Oooh yess~ the most AWESOME discovery these days!
I can tweet using SMS but thats kinda annoying, and I can’t really log onto Twitter on my phone :/
…I might try again later though..

Yupp I mostly use facebook *laughs* have you added me? I worry that I might have missed your friend request ..

April 29th, 2010 at 10:40 pm

Eh? Try going to: http://m.twitter.com

As for Facebook, sheep shall message you soon. (^-^*) Perhaps kioko didn’t know which was sheep. (Laughs)

April 29th, 2010 at 11:34 pm

Don’t worry, just write something saying you’re Sheep, then it’s ok ^-^
I shall try going to Twitter later then~~

9.  Chetan
May 16th, 2010 at 3:55 pm

Thanks a ton.. This info was extremely helpful in setting up wi-fi connection on my samsung star!

10.  drew
July 9th, 2010 at 1:00 pm

wat version po ng opera mini nyo,., ty

July 9th, 2010 at 8:54 pm

Dear Drew

The version which I’m using (as shown above) is Opera Mini 4.2.

12.  rein
July 16th, 2010 at 5:08 pm

hello ms. aya, you’re so pretty.. ^_^
i have a question..
i saw someone on youtube who’s using a star wifi,
his opera mini is in full screen here’s the photo..

how did he do that?

i’m using opera mini, the same version as he is, and here’s the photo of my phone,

the same as yours with navigational key at the bottom of the screen.. i want to maximize the screen advantage of star.. please help me ms. aya..

thanks in advance ^_^

July 16th, 2010 at 9:14 pm

Dear Rein

Aw—Shucks~ (Blushy blush)

I think I’ve done it before but I can’t remember how! (_ _)
I’ll try again and get back to you as soon as possible?
Sorry for not being any help! (;__; )

14.  rein
July 16th, 2010 at 10:11 pm

that’s ok.. i’ll tune in to your blog.. i’ll have my hopes up on you ms aya ^_^

15.  rein
July 17th, 2010 at 2:37 am

hello ms. aya.. i already solved the problem.. i just downloaded the opera mini using my phone’s browser.. ^_^
before i was using my laptop to download the opera mini and simply send it to my phone..

July 17th, 2010 at 10:26 pm

Dear Rein

Ah! Sheep was slow and useless!
Sorry, but very happy that you got your problem solved!
Now you have maximize the screen all the way~ Awesome! XD

17.  patrick
July 21st, 2010 at 3:03 pm

i dont have opera mini under games & more..and why my mobile credit has being deducted everytime i am using wifi?? pls help.

thanks.

18.  Maano
July 22nd, 2010 at 4:25 am

thnku so much…. this short answer was the reply of my 8 months searching… that was so kind of u…

July 22nd, 2010 at 7:32 pm

Dear Patrick

How did you download Opera Mini into your phone?

If you had downloaded from the computer and then transfer to your phone and install from within, the application should be in Games and More.

Where is your Opera Mini stored anyway? (.__.)

20.  dhiwi ashita
July 29th, 2010 at 12:39 am

Hum..
thank you..
I’m looking for this..
n I found it..

21.  serag
September 1st, 2010 at 12:42 am

dear aya

it was a pleasure reading your advises…can you tell me how to download skype and do you know if you can use fring on s5233w…
thanks in advance

September 2nd, 2010 at 7:13 am

Dear Serag

Oh no, I have no idea as I’ve not tried so. Not really a Skype user so…
My apologies. (;__; )

23.  markpol
September 20th, 2010 at 10:30 pm

hi..im using same phone.. i already downloaded opera mini,, and it said failure…

September 21st, 2010 at 9:53 pm

Dear Markpol

May I know exactly what is the error?

Is it a DNS error, Javascript error whereby you’re asked to test the connection or something else? (.__.)

25.  charlene
September 24th, 2010 at 11:25 am

hi, i just brought my samsung star wifi but i dunno how to use wifi to connecting,
cause i dunno how to setting.can u help me?thanks

September 24th, 2010 at 9:12 pm

Dear Charlene

When you want to connect to a Wi-Fi network, first you have to search for the network and then save the Network’s profile to your phone.

If the network requires password, you should edit the profile and key in the password under WEP.

If the password is long and can’t seem to fit in, then change the bit to 64 bit (see which is the highest bit in the option area) and you should be able to type the length of the password into now.

Save the settings and you should be able to connect~

27.  Lindsey
September 26th, 2010 at 4:09 pm

I have Opera Mini as an icon on my phone under Games etc as stated but it won’t install – just hangs for a while, asks to allow to be connected to the web, hangs a bit more and then says it cannot connect to the internet to complete the download.

Very frustrating as I have the wifi switched on/selected and am able to use Facebook, Google etc quite happily, just Opera won’t install.

Any ideas greatfully received!!!!

September 27th, 2010 at 2:43 pm

Dear Lindsey

That’s odd. By right it should install. What Opera Mini version is it by the way?
If it’s the latest, I guess it should run smoothly. Otherwise if it’s too old, it might not.

Maybe you can try downloading Opera Mini via your phone. If you have done that, try downloading into your comp and then transfer the setup to your phone.

Besides this, I can’t think of anymore ways. Sorry. (_ _)

29.  Liel
September 27th, 2010 at 9:55 pm

thank you super duper much:) my problem’s solved:D
btw, wanna ask about edge quad band.. i dont quite understand if it just automatically disabled or what//.. sometimes it just disappears, so i will turn off my phone for it to appear again.

30.  Liel
September 27th, 2010 at 10:05 pm

i have additional question.. iv’e seen in your mobile phone the letter “G”..why is it that mine if “E”? how can i turn it to G?? and what is the difference?

September 28th, 2010 at 12:13 pm

Dear Liel

Edge Quad band? You mean the “E”/”G” icon?
That’s when you’re using GPRS/Internet.

I don’t know the difference but don’t be alarm when you see it there sometimes or not. As long as it doesn’t turn red without your consent because that would mean your credit is being used to surf the net/send out mms.

32.  Lindsey
October 10th, 2010 at 4:13 pm

Dear Ms Aya

Thanks. I did get it to load and worked for a while which was great as obviously I could minimise the programmes I want to leave running…. but though it now connects and loads the Opera Mini front page, it no longer lets me launch any of the applications contained as it says that it cannot connect to the network and so check network settings. I haven’t amended any of the settings and the phone is connecting to the network perfectly outside Opera Mini – very strange…

33.  mark kheil
October 29th, 2010 at 3:36 pm

dear Ms Aya

good day,. can you help me to fin games and application for my samsung star wifi?

please help me ,,.

thank you..

34.  Aiko
October 29th, 2010 at 10:42 pm

DO you have wifi on your house?

October 30th, 2010 at 11:26 am

Dear Mark

First use your WiFi to connect to a network. Go to:

Settings → Display and Light → Widgets → Tick the MORE Widget icon,

Then go to front interface, open your side widget and tap on MORE Widget. You should be able to browse through for widgets there however, you won’t find much.

Apart from this source, I know of no other. Sorry! (_ _)

36.  lakone
November 3rd, 2010 at 4:45 pm

dear ms aya
i have a question, how setting wifi for my samsung star using local proxy server.
thanks for answer, before.

37.  mark kheil
November 12th, 2010 at 3:22 pm

thank you ms aya..

your soo kind and pretty cute,..

November 13th, 2010 at 9:42 am

Dear Lakone

Local proxy server?

I’m sorry for being clueless about that. (u__u)

——————————————————

Dear Mark

It worked? Good~
And why, thank you~ (Laughs)

39.  Aiya
November 18th, 2010 at 8:00 pm

i have a samsung star phone, the version i have is the one w/out wi-fi.. how can i use opera mini without deduction from my load?

November 19th, 2010 at 9:45 pm

Dear Aiya

Oh, you can’t use Opera Mini without deducting any credit if your phone has no Wi-Fi. This is because Opera Mini needs as Internet profile/network to surf the Internet. If you have Wi-Fi, the expenses will be on the Wireless Network. So without Wi-Fi, you have to use your own phone line to connect to the Internet. :(

41.  SV
December 4th, 2010 at 4:29 am

Hi,

I was searching on internet for the problem you described. I finally found your site. And it gave me a solution, also thanks to the pictures you posted. So thank you very much!!!

SV,
and greetings from Belgium…

December 4th, 2010 at 9:02 pm

Thanks, SV!
And your welcome~ XD

43.  Ashar
February 14th, 2011 at 10:59 pm

i m very much grateful to you my friend
bundle of thanks to you

44.  KNYKNY
February 20th, 2011 at 7:59 pm

THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR THE BLOG INFO!!!!! IT HELPED ME ALOT!!! THIS IS WHAT IM LOOKING FOR…

45.  Blair
March 5th, 2011 at 9:29 pm

I have the same problem with lindsey I have opera mini 5 downloaded on my samsung s5233w but the installation will stop it says UNABLE TO CONNECT TO THE INTERNET
pls help!!

March 6th, 2011 at 12:07 pm

Dear Blair

That’s odd. Did you set the Profile Network? You must set the connection first.

47.  Blair
March 15th, 2011 at 7:52 pm

hmmm..my opera mini was successfully downloaded it is because you need “prov” file also not only the OM file you didn’t tell us the steps ha!
hahaha

48.  Faye
March 29th, 2011 at 12:04 pm

Been trying to use opera mini on my phone for days! Kept getting stuck on the ‘opera mini needs internet may charge you money etc…’ so thank you for your help!

49.  Ashley
May 17th, 2011 at 6:59 pm

Thanks for the info.

What about if im not connecting thru wifi, what if im going to use the providers internet, Like smart internet.
can i connect the internet using opera mini?

May 25th, 2011 at 5:41 pm

Dear Ashley (wow, feels like I’m addressing to myself!)

Yes, you can still use your service provider to connect as long as you set the Internet profile to your preferred network.

51.  venus
October 7th, 2011 at 3:26 pm

hi ms aya..just wanna ask in ur opera mini FB does it have check ins? if so how can i have it..my FB here on my star wifi only has mobile uploads..thanks

October 7th, 2011 at 8:44 pm

Dear Venus

No, Opera Mini does not allow check-ins.. I think. From the old versions I have used, I could not do check-ins. :(

Opera Mini limits certain functions and also, Samsung Star is incapable of downloading new apps.

53.  Adil
December 17th, 2011 at 3:31 pm

thanks for giving your tips for using oper mini with the wifi of samsung star

54.  Shining Star
November 19th, 2012 at 5:16 am

Yeah, I was looking for it and got it… thanx

55.  Gauri Shankar Sharma
September 5th, 2013 at 7:17 pm

Thank You for such a wonderful easy way explanation :)

I am using Samsung Wave gt s5253 ( BADA operating System).
In Games & More >> Connection>> {{{{More}}}}

In my mobile this “More” option doesn’t show.

(My mobile main browser works easily with wi-fi)

But ” Games & More” as well as “Youtube ” don’t work with wifi.

Plzz plzzzz pleassssse try to find out any solution.
Thanx alot 4 ur valueable time & suggestion :)