Mood - Active

Mood - Active

25th November 2K8, Tuesday – 12++am.

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

This tutorial is probably the quickest and most plain tutorial ever done by Ms.Aya. (Laughs)

Not that I’m lazy. It’s just that many of the basics has been taught in my previous tutorials. <^-^>/

In this tutorial, we will learn how to draw 2 types of guys with different facial features and characteristics.

We have all sorts of people in this world; The happy-go-lucky, gangsters, old geezers and the list go on. But sadly, we’re only going to learn how to draw the typical guy with wide eyes and the serious nonchalant dude. (Laughs)

Ok, for those who are absolute rookies who don’t know anything about the T-junction foundation, click here to learn. Otherwise, proceed shall we? ↓

Start by dividing your paper into 2 sections and draw as shown above.

Note: Please use your due diligence. You don’t necessarily have to follow my distorted foundation because I usually use them as marks and later morph them. If you are too reliable on your foundation, I suggest you draw it properly and not like mine which is retardedly crooked.

Draw the outline of the head.

You can draw one at a time or draw both at the same time, up to you.

The left side – The side of the head should be a bit broad.

The right sideSlightly thinner than the other one.

When you draw the head, I want you to focus on the chin. As you can see, the chin is slightly broader. This makes it easier to distinguish between a male and female character.

If you’re drawing a girl, she would look cuter and more feminine with smaller and perhaps sharper chin. Men on the other hand would look more manly with broad chin. Although most male anime characters share the same type of chin as the female, this is just an option for you to give strong masculine features to your male characters.

Because to what I know, people tend to draw guys that look like girls. It’s a common conflict. (Laughs)

Ok.. Now, we’ll start drawing the perky-sporty yuppie.. (Perky-chan) ↓

Draw the nose and mouth as shown above.

1 – Make sure the chin is broad.

2Darken the strokes of the nose. Make it outstanding for we are trying to draw a bold character.

As for the mouth, give him a confident smile or a grin to suit his characteristic.

After that, move up to draw the eyes. When you intend to draw a male character, besides his chin showing of his manly features — his eyes are also what differentiates him from a girl.

1 - Darken his eyebrow but be careful not make it look so thick. Just thicker than a woman’s eyebrow, ok? Arch the eyebrows while you’re at it.

2 – This part is optional. Even though it’s not drawn too thick, he won’t be accuse of being a sissy. (Laughs)

3 - Draw a thick line for the upper eyelids. Whatever you do, don’t give him eyelashes. Here’s why — ↓

It’s not pretty, it’s not cool and certainly not cute! It’s down right ugly!

So go easy on the eyebrows and drop the eyelashes. Those are for women! <`A´>/

Once you’re done with the eyes, the outcome should look like this. (I drew a bit of the ear)

Leave him to be hairless and move on to the second character who has a cold and nonchalant attitude. ↓

Draw the nose and mouth first~

1 - Unlike Perky-chan’s nose, his should be less bold. If you don’t favor this type of nose, sure, you can draw like the first one. Only thing is keep the line thin.

2Chin is smaller than the first one.

A nonchalant character (or what most people would deem it; emo) don’t usually smile right? So a pout or a frown should do the job.

Now for his eyes… We’re going to do the opposite of the Perky-chan.

1 - Eyebrow is to be kept thin and in a neat line. Do not arch it. Either slant down or just keep it straight.

2 - Keep this line close to the upper eye lid.

3 - Darken the strokes and keep it straight. Don’t arch it.

From what you can tell from his eyes, they are smaller than Perky-chan. And more serious looking, desu ne?

You can draw this kind of eyes for bishounen characters. Of course, mine is no match for Mayu Shinjo’s perverted charming bishounens however — Perhaps yours will one day beat mine and hers. (Laughs)

When you’re done, this is the outcome or Kakkoi-sama. (Cool) ↓

Well, as they are right now — They are considered to be hideous because — They have no hair. (Laughs)

For Perky-chan, what kind of hair style do you think suits him?

He has a wide and confident smile plus a pair of big eyes that spells out “Ore wa yaru!” (I’ll do it)?

*Thinks* <u__u>

Baa… Straight.. Long.. No no.. Spikey hair would suit his nature, ne? ↓

This is my conclusion. Since I intended to apply the sporty look on Perky-chan, a messy hair and a singlet shall booze his style and characteristic.

As for our moody Kakkoi-sama… ↓

This is my portrait of him. His hair is neat and in place thus gives away the impression that he is cool and serious.

Yossha~☆! \<´v`>/

Ms.Aya‘s tutorial is coming to an end~

Normally, I’d give some sample works and practices however — For this tutorial, there’s no need too. If you have been following my drawing tutorials, just follow back those practices but this round, you draw guys characters…

While practicing, I advise you to focus on the chin, nose and eyes which are the essential features that differs the gender and characteristic.

I wish everyone well in drawing manga and I certainly hope that my tutorial will at least be a bit useful to you. <_   _>lll

My next tutorial will on how to hand-draw unique backgrounds.

In addition, I’ll teach you how to sketch using pen.

Here’s a sneak preview: ↓

This is Ms.Aya from Paperdiaries.com — Logging out!

PS: It’s obvious that I applied Kakkoi-sama’s features on Dion Castlock. So you probably can fathom what kind of guy Dion is, na? <*^-^*>/

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , ,

This entry was posted on Tuesday, November 25th, 2008 at 12:45 am and is filed under Tutorials. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

1.  Circle
November 25th, 2008 at 7:11 am

Heh ! One more great tutorial !

Ok, I must say you taht guys have a bit more muscles at the neck base just upon the clavicule ! (Trapezius muscles) It’s like a simple triangle, just look at some pictures else or guys who be still a bit girlish.

However your arts are fine, positions are very good !

I’m wandering, what is written behind Dion ? Oh, and just noticed, same handwritting than mine. Maybe it’s an artist typical handwritting ? (Laughs)

One last advice, when something is pulled, make visible creases on the clothes, this way the motion would be more lifely.

Continue your drawings, I enjoy them !

November 25th, 2008 at 3:36 pm

The neck needs to be more muscular?

Ok, check! I’ll keep that in mind~ Thanks!

I couldn’t scan Dion’s picture properly so you won’t be able to read the words clearly. Too bad.. I added a small puzzle in the background and no one can see it. (Tears)

(Laughs) My hand writing is very small by nature.

Thanks for your advice. I strive to improve more~!

!! RAWR !!

3.  Mira
November 25th, 2008 at 7:55 pm

sugoi ne sheepy and that bleach char cant stop making me laugh XD the most sissy guy ever o.o lol because of his pouty lips and eyelashes o.o

and i like perky chan XD its nice to see a char like that XD i must learn from you ~~~~~~

4.  Circle
November 26th, 2008 at 11:07 am

I found some helpful pictures.

This one is pretty good but saddly a bit small:

Of course it’s very realistic, but it’s best to have a clear realistic picture in mind to understand it and then sketch it !

Some other:

And one shot:

Quote: “(Laughs) My hand writing is very small by nature.”

Mine’s too is small, but I don’t love my hand writing. Would that mean that I don’t love yours in some way ?

I guess so… Even if knowing that your handwriting is very similar to mine makes me love a bit more my handwriting ! (Laughs nervously)

Too bad we can’t see the puzzle ! I love puzzles, and mazes.

November 26th, 2008 at 5:12 pm

Oh crap I just realized that Kakkoi-sama’s shoulders are too small!

(x_x)

Thanks Mr.Circle for the links. For your information, I’m very scared of REAL people. (Shivers) Small hand writings are nice. I don’t like big ones. (T_T)

Mira, his battle with Yumichika is hilarious! Somehow, I’m happy that this ballerina lost and hopefully, we won’t be seeing him again!

6.  Mira
November 26th, 2008 at 9:29 pm

Circle : sugoi o.o very detailed muscle shadowing. i wonder if i could do that T.T definetly not in 30 years o.o i dont know how to get the texture T.T

sheep : they were even arguing about who was prettier and yumichika got pissed off. lol XD i couldnt stop laughing at the way he fought XD especially with those eye lashes i almost wanted to pluck them out O.O.

yumichika’s powers are definetly unique lol XD i hope they wont draw more of these type of chars lol

7.  Circle
November 27th, 2008 at 8:23 am

All right, Sheep, I won’t show you scary pictures anymore ! Well, I guess now I’d rather not post pictures of me if I don’t want to scare you ! (Laughs)

Right ?

November 27th, 2008 at 6:49 pm

Dear Mira

I feel that there are too many unnecessary characters in Bleach now. And every one of them is taking too much air time. (Tears)

Yumichika’s battle with that ballerina is funny. I like how Titre Kubo drew Yumichika’s expressions in this chapter. (Laughs)

Dear Mr.Circle

I can’t say anything. (^-^)lll

9.  xavier
June 23rd, 2010 at 7:39 pm

omg they used bleach

10.  Kay
August 24th, 2010 at 5:02 pm

I am really bad at the hair
Have you got any tips?

August 26th, 2010 at 8:50 pm

Dear Kay

Try stroking like this:

But shorter hair.

12.  Anna
September 9th, 2010 at 9:35 am

This helped me alot ^^ You are a great drawer may god bless you…

September 9th, 2010 at 10:57 am

Dear Anna

Thank you for the blessings!
Same to you and do well in your own drawings~! (^-^*)

14.  avocadoOR.ELSE
February 18th, 2011 at 9:43 am

i was hving so much trouble drawing guys (i only can draw girls ^^|||)

15.  FnD
November 12th, 2011 at 4:00 pm

I think I have a problem with the Photobucket link @_@!!

16.  Zeuro
November 8th, 2012 at 10:04 pm

You r a fabulous drawer……your drawings have helped me create my very own mangas!!!!!!!!!! Thanks a ton….and may you achieve success

17.  satori-kun
April 11th, 2013 at 11:50 am

amazing artwork ur definitely the real deal unlike those wannabe american “manga artists”. domou arigatou gozaimasu

18.  satori-kun
April 12th, 2013 at 1:54 am

p.s my favorite anime are a certain magical index and naruto ^u^

19.  satori-kun
April 12th, 2013 at 2:00 am

i am cursed when i wanna draw good i do terrible but if i wanna do the opposite i draw good (anyone in the boat or any suggestions?

20.  christian amago
May 30th, 2013 at 9:12 pm

your really funny aya san xD
your guide really helps me alot! ty for \(^o^)/
hope you help more people ^^

21.  christian amago
May 30th, 2013 at 9:16 pm

every time i wanna draw a male character it turns out to be a girl *sigh* xD

22.  nash
June 6th, 2013 at 8:44 pm

wow! it helps a lo…t tnx much!!!

5 Trackbacks/Pings

1. How to Draw a Full-Body for Manga Characters « PaperDiaries    Nov 26 2008 / 11am:

[...] Rookie’s Guide to Drawing a Male Manga Character [...]

2. Drawing Facial Expressions for Your Manga Character! « PaperDiaries    Nov 26 2008 / 11am:

[...] Rookie’s Guide to Drawing a Male Manga Character [...]

3. Guide to Japanese Text Emoticons and Chibi Facial Expressions! « PaperDiaries    Nov 26 2008 / 11am:

[...] Rookie’s Guide to Drawing a Male Manga Character [...]

4. easy spells | CNN.com    Nov 29 2008 / 7am:

[...] Rookie’s Guide to Drawing a Male Manga Character … thick, he won’t be accuse of being a sissy. (Laughs) 3 – Draw a thick line for the upper eyelids. Whatever you do, don’t give him eyelashes. Here’s why — ↓ It’s not pretty, it’s not cool and certainly not cute! It’s down right ugly! So go easy on the eyebrows and drop the eyelashes. Those are for women … [...]

5. Anime and Manga PhotoShop Tutorials    Aug 31 2009 / 9am: