Mood - Blank

Mood - Blank

30th October 2K8, Thursday – Late evening.

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

I, Ms.Aya the sheep is so sorry for the long overdue tutorial. <x_x>lll

Finally, I present to you… A basic guide on how to draw a full-body for your manga characters! \<^x^>/

Just before I begin this tutorial, allow me to clarify certain things:

1. I’m an amateur and inconsistent artist. My tutorials are meant for absolute beginner’s who are just starting out. Suppose you are an expert artist and you find this tutorial pure trash — That, I wonder how did you end up here.
  2. My human anatomy outlook is retarded and deformed. However, I see it as an art to defy reality. And seriously, it doesn’t look too spastic to me.
  3. This is a very quick guide that requires less than an hour. <^-^>v

Above all — I humbly admit.. I’m lousy in drawing a full-body. <;__;> But I’m confident that the technique I’m about to teach you is more than enough to pass your artwork with compliments. <^v^>/

Now that I’m clear… Moving on…

Note: Click on image to enlarge view.

I’ve already taught you how to draw the face and create facial expressions in my previous tutorials. Now, we’re going to draw a full body for your lovely manga characters!

First off… Please draw the following graphic shown below. ↓

Kickstart by drawing a mannequin/body line structure as shown above. This enables you to have a rough figure laid on your paper and most importantly, work out on your character’s anatomy.

• Some people may find it easier to draw a character straight away without defining the construction in the beginning. However, if you are truly new to drawing — Then it’s better that you build your structure. Because once you are done, all you need to do is just give it some skin and put some clothes on.

Back to the tutorial…

When drawing the body is concern, here are a few things that you need to focus on when constructing the figure of the body:

• The width length of the shoulder - Always start with the head. Because the head determines the balance and size of the body. You need the help of the head to move on to the shoulders. So just how big or small should the shoulders be? This varies on the posture that you intend to draw. But in this case, we’re starting with a normal upfront pose. Therefore, your shoulder should be in align with the ears. (There are no ears shown in the example given but I’m positive you know where they are!)

Above is how you measure the width of the shoulders. Line 1 is to measure the vertical height to meet the shoulders. After you rely on your due diligence to decide how long/short you want your neck to be, take the same length from Line 1 to create Line 2.

• The chest – Follow the steps shown below. ↓

Step 1a and 1b: The sides should be drawn inwards, giving it ample space for the character to move her arm freely. (Not that we want to show off her armpit though) We just want to give her a nice shape. <^x^>lll

Step 2: This is the collarbone line.

Step 3a and 3b: These are guidelines to ensure your body is facing the direction that you desire and to keep its balance.

* Important note: The length of the torso should be equivalent to the length of the legs. The legs can be slightly longer but please don’t overdo it. We’re not drawing Dragonball characters here! <T_T>

Next… <.___.>

Once you have completed imitating the whole body structure given above, proceed to the following progress. ↓

As you can see, our character here is taking shape slowly. What I did was I started giving her a face… and a proper pelvic area. (Laughs) <x_x>

There’s more. I gave her boobs and formed her limbs properly. <^.^>lll

Now, continue to form her body then erase the initial guidelines. ↓

Now we’re heading somewhere~! \<^ε^>/

Before we move on, here’s a short tip on how to draw the arms. ↓

Arm structure – The size of the upper arm (from the shoulder – Elbow) should be fatter than the lower part of the arm (Elbow – wrist) Same goes when you draw the legs. Thighs should be fatter than the lower part. This shapes up your character in the proper and logical manner.

Here’s a closer look on how to build the structure for the back-hand (or palm) and fingers.

The wrist is the thinnest part of the arm. At the end of the wrist, the hand should be as fat as the lower part of the arm. (What am I saying?) <@_@>

The 5 tiny balls represents the knuckles, which will help you move on to the fingers. The balls between the finger tips and the knuckles marks the finger’s phalanges. With that, you can decide how you want your character’s fingers to pose — whether she’s holding a weapon, clutching her first and the victorious ‘V’ pose. <^-^>v

Ok, so just how big and long should a hand/palm be? ↓

Answer: It should be around the length of the head, or slightly smaller. Suppose you are drawing a male character, it’s alright to create larger and wider palms for him. But when it comes to a girl character, small would be beautiful and just right~♥

After you have finished outlining her body and every part of her is agreeable to you, then you may proceed to clothing her.

Here’s how I did mine. ↓

About the feet, I’m sorry I can’t help you there for I totally can’t draw them myself properly. But for starters, you can try drawing boots or overly huge shoes because they are easier to draw. (In my opinion)

Baa.. <u_u>

We’ve come to an end in this tutorial.

It’s not the best tutorial out there however, it’ll get you somewhere. <n_n>

As usual, I’ll end my tutorials by giving out my personal practices and exercises so that you can be independent in drawing and exploring the art of manga~

Ms.Aya’s Practice Methods

In order to improve further, I suggest that you gather some hard copy pictures and trace the initial body structure.

Take a piece of paper and lay it on top of your chosen completed image. Instead of tracing the whole image — just draw the body line structure as shown earlier.

Example:

Completed image

Over traced structure

Pick a really nice picture and trace over the original foundation and body structure. And then, try to redraw the picture OR draw your own character over it. That way, your character will share the same pose.

Plus, you’ll be more familiar in designing body structures and poses. This will make an excellent practice!

Besides, it’s like playing the ‘Join the Dotted Line’ game. Only thing is that it won’t be a picture of a clown holding an umbrella but — a sexy manga character. (Laughs)

More examples:

Completed Image

Over traced body structure

Completed Image

Over traced structure

Completed image

Over traced structure

Completed image

Over traced structure

Ok, sheep is done here. I hope I didn’t confuse anyone and that this tutorial will be of help.

Another thing I want to recommend:

If you want elite tutorials on how to draw manga girls, go to:

Xia’s a really great and talented artist. His tutorials will definitely take your drawing skills to another level.

My next tutorial will be on how to draw male characters. Perhaps it will be out by end of next month. <u_u>

Having that said, this is Ms.Aya who thanks you for being patient~♥

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

This entry was posted on Thursday, October 30th, 2008 at 10:08 pm and is filed under Tutorials. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

1.  Mira
October 31st, 2008 at 12:02 am

sugoi ne sheep ^^ you always thought me those methods and im still trying T.T ehehehhe nice one XD

2.  Pat
November 1st, 2008 at 9:31 pm

You rock! For the first time in my life, I FORMED FINGERS CORRECTLY!

November 1st, 2008 at 10:54 pm

Dear Ms. Pat

That’s great!

You sound like you had a rough time drawing the fingers. I remember how I use to stab myself in the chest whenever I had to draw the fingers. It was so blady hard so I always ended up hiding the fingers in the pocket..
Or purposely draw a long sleeve kimono… (Laughs nervously) (_ _)lll

Does anyone do this, I wonder.

Anyway, I learned this method through a book and it certainly helped me out.

Therefore, it’s only fair for me to share it with everyone else.

With that said, Ms. Pat…

To your success in drawing manga! \(^w^)/

4.  Mira
November 2nd, 2008 at 11:03 pm

and i shall practice practice and practice. but i still dont know how to make the positions right T.T

5.  Circle
November 5th, 2008 at 2:20 pm

Hiya !

I love your drawings, is the one where you compare hand’s length and face’s length is a self-portrait ? It’s my favorite one , it is so cuuute !

Positions are great, but don’t you think the one with the guitar will find her instrument a bit heavy grasping it like that ? (Laughs)

I’m impatient for the next tutorials, I wonder how you’d draw guys. Wanna me to be yar model ? Nahhh jokin’ ! I wonder how you’d draw me if I send you a pic’.

Well, about drawing, what do you think of a ‘Join the Dotted Line’ game with Mira and other people ?

6.  Circle
November 5th, 2008 at 2:21 pm

Oh, and yeah, draw bikinis ! bikinis ! Haha, I love the way this word sounds. Moare bikini girlz please ! (Laughs)

November 5th, 2008 at 7:13 pm

Thanks for you compliments, Mr.Circle. (^x^)/

Now that you point that out.. Ya… The one with the guitar does not tally properly. (Gasps)

Soon, I’ll post a tutorial on how to draw male characters followed by how to compose a character according to personality wise.

Join the dotted line game.. Mmm.. I’ve already planned to set up another game here.. But I’ll give this a thought later.

Baa~

Bikini… Now how do I draw that? (Tears)

*Sheep is lousy in drawing bikinis*

8.  luv_cadet316
January 2nd, 2009 at 12:27 pm

Hey!
That’s one of the nicest things that I learned!(although the fingers are still under construction!hehe)
Thanks for giving us a tutorial!
At last I have drawn Sunichi Itsuka in a better style or pose!(sunichi Itsuka, that’s a nice name name right?? Well, she’s my manga character! My first ever I think! Anyway, THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!!!!!!
I mean it!!!
luv_cadet316

9.  cesar
February 14th, 2009 at 1:30 am

Thanks alot for this tutorial i was able to grasp the position and body structure of manga. Also i will be doing that cool Practice Method that will help keep up the good work!

10.  spupapi@hotmail.com
March 12th, 2009 at 10:30 pm

i like your draw and want to learn xD buti i feel bit nostalgic because the fact is i actually want to make a story and art…but i know i won’t make it since im not from japan.So why learning it hihihi

March 14th, 2009 at 3:01 pm

Thanks everyone~ I wish you all the best success to your drawing hobbies/dreams!

Dear Spupapi

You don’t have to be a Japanese or live in Japan just to draw manga. Drawing comes from your own creativity and dreams.

Try drawing as a hobby for a start. It doesn’t have to turn out to be a splendid master piece.

Draw self-portraits!

Dear Luv_cadet

How did I miss your comment? Sorry.. (Slaps self)

Yes, it’s a nice name~ Itsuka means “When” by the way. (^v^)/

12.  Deko
June 2nd, 2009 at 6:37 am

Thank you very much, Im from Brasil, and Im having some Drawing classes on Saturdays…but Im really bad at it, Im getting better, but the fact is, the ears and body are killing me, I can draw an ear and an arm alone but when it comes to a full body its just trash….I hope I can draw like you someday….

June 3rd, 2009 at 6:32 pm

Dear Deko

Glad to be of assistance.

It takes time to adjust yourself to draw what you want. I think as long as you have a clear and vivid image in your head, you just need to grasp them and then put in on paper.

A lot of people have trouble drawing the full body so… Try the method and practice above. I hope it will help you to draw better than me someday~!

14.  Dawn San
September 5th, 2009 at 10:51 am

hi aya san i really need help im starting yr 9 soon can you help me i really need to improve my manga skills boys body, hair and girls body im going to choose art :S i really need it

September 6th, 2009 at 3:44 pm

Oh dear…I don’t know how.
If you want to improve girls body, you can try the tutorials from this site: http://idrawgirls.blogspot.com/
As for male characters well, do the practice that I introduced above. Select some nice pictures of male characters and instead of tracing them, construct the proportion and from there you’ll learn how to do poses and stuff. (^-^)lll

16.  person
March 2nd, 2010 at 6:54 am

you know, this doesn’t help at ALL! get a life

17.  lily
March 3rd, 2010 at 5:11 am

Maybe you are just too pathetic to learn, and you should be the one who should get a life… The tutorial shows the basic outline for the picture, so you can make sure the position of things, (which makes things alot easier) then you draw the details.

March 3rd, 2010 at 3:04 pm

Dear Lily

Thanks a lot. But let’s just leave this person alone. (Laughs) (^x^)lll

19.  lily
March 7th, 2010 at 11:05 am

Good idea…

20.  Kyo
August 7th, 2010 at 11:51 pm

WHAT A STUPID TUTORIAL…
you know my cat can draw better than you i wonder why people encourage you so much and yes i can draw better than you ok
and if u want proof just go to deviantart.com vampireblood is me over there
and if u think i suck on drawing tthen..then..yes i do
im just jealouse so i just give out bad comments to others
what i really mean is that you draw awesome and i suckk
keep up the good work and never give up ok ms.aya

sincerely,Kyo

August 8th, 2010 at 3:04 pm

Dear Kyo

Uh..Thanks for the encouragement? (Laughs nervously)
Do your best too. (^-^)lll

22.  Kay
August 23rd, 2010 at 6:38 pm

Your tutorials are so awesome! I have now created my first manga character thanks to you! You are so talented! She does not have a name but she will soon!

23.  Kay
August 24th, 2010 at 1:47 am

she has a name now! She is called Aimee Sakura!

August 24th, 2010 at 11:06 am

Dear Kay

Aimee Sakura…That’s a lovely name~

Glad sheep could help~

Keep drawing, ne? Create more characters! (Laughs)

25.  Kay
August 24th, 2010 at 4:44 pm

Im trying to make a male character. do you have any tips on the body and how it differs?

August 26th, 2010 at 8:47 pm

Dear Kay

Mmm….The make the bodies look different and easy to identify their gender…

For female, the body should be small and curvy. Emphasize the waist. The shoulders — not too broad and limbs, thin and fragile.

Whereas for a male character, give him a strong built; Broad shoulders, no curves in his waist (draw them straight) and some shades on his arm to show masculinity. (^-^)

Hope this bit can aid you…

27.  Kay
August 29th, 2010 at 12:36 am

Thanks! Im working on a face at the moment!

28.  Vamp
October 6th, 2010 at 5:08 pm

Awesome, thanks :D For the first time ever I drew a proper female body! Thanks!

29.  crisdann12
December 24th, 2010 at 10:42 am

Terrific! I love it! Thanks for the guide and nice tips.

30.  SomehtingPointCom
December 30th, 2010 at 3:39 am

awesome!!! finnaly a form to draw hands correctly

31.  hikaru
February 4th, 2011 at 7:24 am

hi um… im 13 and my brother loves to draw manga and he is realy good…he almost senior in highschool…anyway!!!…um im just starting out, a few years ago i found this book called how to draw manga its not the best but my point is that it inspired me to start drawing manga and you realy helped me!!!…um also could you give me some tips on how to draw eyes

form hikaru(not real name…its liam)

p.s. thank you!!!!!!!

33.  HiddenEYE
February 27th, 2011 at 10:42 pm

Hay… Thnx 4 all u ve done…. This is the best thing I have found about mangan…. Thank you again 4 ur help…
U R THE BEST….!

34.  FnD
November 10th, 2011 at 5:44 pm

Here I am want to know tips how to draw full body and there are no picture!! O_O!!

35.  jessWOLF20
January 31st, 2012 at 11:15 pm

this was just terrible; i’ve seen much better work when i was in elementary school (by me) . Nothing useful -___-

36.  Amuro Wesley
May 5th, 2012 at 1:00 pm

Thanks for the great tips you provide on manga drawing.

Will certainly put them to good use on my drawings.

37.  Katsu
July 14th, 2012 at 1:58 am

WOW OFTO this really helped but I was okay from drawing stuff from naruto before xD Thanx!!!

38.  Jackie
July 28th, 2012 at 1:08 am

To be honest, I think you should work on your skills a bit with the placing and how to draw it, like using human drawing books, because it doesn’t help much for grown artists, that need help with this area. ( yes i know, this was posted forever ago.. )

39.  Me
September 14th, 2012 at 4:40 pm

You suck your drawings are pathetic. You need to get your proportion right. Feet are not like jelly we have bones

40.  Zeuro
November 8th, 2012 at 9:55 pm

Hello!!!! thnx to u i drew my first own full manga figure….keep up the good work!!!!!!!!

41.  christian amago
May 30th, 2013 at 9:46 pm

WOHOO! ty for that! i know now to to draw the fingers xD

42.  :D
July 3rd, 2013 at 2:42 am

hi i like the picture it is nice. can you do different types of hair and poses please? thank you! from a beginner at manga
P.S: i like your smilies!

(^-^)/ go manga!

3 Trackbacks/Pings

1. First Step to Drawing Your Very Own Manga Character! « PaperDiaries    Oct 30 2008 / 10pm:

[...] How to Draw a Full-Body for Manga Characters [...]

2. Drawing Facial Expressions for Your Manga Character! « PaperDiaries    Oct 31 2008 / 12am:

[...] How to Draw a Full-Body for Manga Characters [...]

3. How to Draw a Full-Body for Manga Characters « PaperDiaries    Nov 26 2008 / 11am:

[...] How to draw a full body for manga characters [...]